Friday, April 6, 2012

Education in Salons

Funny how you look at things as you get older. Remember, I said older, not old.
I took my husband to the Salon tonight to get his hair cut. While I sat looking through different style books as he was being attended to, I couldn't help but to notice that the stylist closest to me was entertaining her client with lots of jabber. The stylist next in line said not one word to her client. I then noticed that the first group was an older client with a young stylist, when the second group was the opposite. It seemed that the young stylist had more in common with her client. While she was busy clipping strands of hair, the older gal was informing her stylist on the new reforms of teachers, her worries, and cares. The young woman never missed a clip and bantered back and forth, keeping a constant flow of talk and motion. I watched the second group with some interest, every now and then, as they seemed to be entranced with the flow of the conversation beside them. In some ways, I think the young girl getting her hair cut was glad to have someone to eves drop on and not converse with the older woman cutting her hair. Not much in common I thought.
I did learn that this older woman, getting her hair cut was a teacher. I listened with half an interest, till she said something that caught my attention. "Our school does not do the Parent/Teacher conference any longer". The young stylist asked, "What do they do then?" "Oh, the  counselors do that now, but we give our input when asked" said this teacher.
My head reeled. I have a co-worker who has had problems, with a teacher and asked for a conference and she has yet to have the teacher acknowledge her request. I was amazed. This fine woman went on to explain her duties, days, and her work. I sat there utterly amazed. How can a counselor even begin to hold a conference with a parent? Does this counselor even recognise the student, interact with, or see first hand the learning ability of the student?
Then again, I was floored by yet another comment made by said teacher..."Believe me, I have been in lots of schools and its always the same".. I have no idea what this was in reference to, since I was still left wading in my own thoughts of counselors meeting with parents and this being ok?! I do know she meant that as a positive thing, but it left me wondering just how many schools, how many times in how many years couldn't she keep her teaching job and why ? The biggest was why.
I, personally am glad my youngest graduated two years ago. I had enough conferences to last me a lifetime, yet after hearing this half baked teacher worry about the FCAT, test scores and how they affect her job...wow, I felt like saying "Hey, dim wit, ya think?" . But for some reason, I dont think she would have gotten the point.
I left there tonight with my education in salons of our schools today. If our teachers are just to busy not to hold a meeting with the parents, then how could they possibly be trusted to teach our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment